Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Music Man

My son has decided that he is going to play in the band and the orchestra. I had always expected that he would play in the band because he has been taking flute lessons for a few years. His flute teacher initially told me that my son surprised her. She stated that she would have steered him away from the flute because of the way his upper lip was shaped.

My boy was determined, however. He was persistant and was able to make a sound through the mouthpiece and soon he was playing music. His music teacher was impressed and has encouraged him to play more and more complex peices. He will play flute in the band and is learning violin in the orchestra. This is the same child who plays baseball and does crazy tricks on his bicycle.

Here's the odd thing. The majority of boys at my son's school are playing instruments and it is very uncool not to play an instrument. The world apparently did a 180 after I grew up. I certainly did not feel cool with my piano lessons and practice, practice, practice when I was younger.

Taz took the tuba when he was growing up. He said something about being tone deaf and getting very bored. I am pretty sure that means that music must not come from his side of the DNA.

My eldest daughter, decided that he was her prodigy. She has played the violin for years. Her words, "if you know how to tune your own violin, you will be a rockstar in orchestra." Rockstar can tune his violin and likes orchestra so far. Mercifully, eldest daughter has not taught him to slide on his strings and make that horror movie sound on his violin. No word if anyone else has realized that he is a rockstar. I had better get his autograph while I can.

1 comment: